Reduced Emissions Asphalt
Reduced Emission Asphalt (REA) helps to minimise the impact of asphalt production, it is estimated to have a similar effect on particulate matter (PM10) as planting 16 trees and a similar impact on the reduction of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as removing 40 cars from the road.
Reduced Emission Asphalt (REA) is a new product to the UK market available though OUTCO.
The REA product helps to minimise the impact of asphalt production and laying on local air quality.
REA trials were completed working with bitumen provider Shell and their FreshAir bitumen, specialist binder, which has been shown to reduce specific gases and particulate matter from asphalt mixes by an average of 40 per cent compared to conventional bitumen.
It acts directly with some of the chemical compounds affecting air quality, as well as odour-releasing molecules, helping to cut specific gases and particulates (NOx, SOx, CO, VOC and PMs) and reduce their release into the air during production and paving.
Every kilometre switched to REA is estimated to have a similar effect on particulate matter (PM10) as planting 16 trees and a similar impact on the reduction of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as removing 40 cars from the road.
REA is particularly beneficial for ultra-low emission zones and other areas with poor air quality. Its use can improve air quality during the road building phase – particularly in tunnels, where ventilation is an issue, and urban areas – as well as during production.
- On average 40% reduction of specific gases
and particulate matter
- Reduced impact on air quality during production, paving and compaction of road surface
- Substantial impact on NOx, SOx, CO, VOC and PMs
- Similar effect on NO2 as taking 40 cars off the road per km asphalt laid
- Equivalent effect on particulate matter as planting 16 trees per km asphalt laid
- Active odour neutralisation of 95%-99%
- Perfect solution for Ultra Low Emission Zones (ULEZs) Can be used in any asphalt product range
- Suitable for all asphalt applications